Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Tools > Metalshaping > New style power hammers

New style power hammers Fabricated steel frame, i.e. Bailiegh, Bam Bam, Dake, Shop Dog and shop built hammers.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:27 PM

Default my Anoka power hammer

After about a year of working in my hammer on and off, I finally got it done! I bought a set of plans from Dennis at Hot Metal Customs and built my hammer accordingly. His plans are very detailed and well designed, and he is quick to answer any questions you may have during the build. I also purchased a set of his thumbnail shrinking dies and they work great! The hammer ended up taking longer to build and cost more than I originally thought, but what project doesn't? It is a very well built machine and should last a lifetime.I know some of you are going to say that you don't need power tools to shape metal, but I can now make parts that I could never make by hand, and in a lot less time! I work on customer cars every day, so time matters to me. I would highly recommend Hot metal customs if you are looking to by or build a small power hammer. I will try to post some pics here, if it does not work, you can see them in my gallery, Greg
Old 08-25-2006, 03:54 PM

Default power hammer

This is a view from the other side. I designed and built my own stand because I wanted to hide my motor and wanted a built in storage compartment for my tooling. I made an adapter for the lower die holder so I can use my lower dies from my planishing hammer. These dies, used with a urethane upper die, allow me to stretch metal very quickly.The shrinking dies work well, with very little marking of the metal. If you have any questions, just ask, Greg,
Old 08-25-2006, 04:23 PM

Hey Gerg,

Nice looking machine. I'm considering buying the dies this company makes but I don't know if my Nibbler Junior has enough power to use these dies. So I'm wondering for comparason, what is your motor horsepower and how many strokes per minute does your machine run? Thanks.

Bob
Old 08-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Hi Bob, I am using a 1 horse motor, about 900 strokes per minute. The machine runs very smooth and quiet, and has lots of power.I was thinking of speeding it up by changing pulleys, but I will leave it the way it is.I think more speed would increase noise and vibration, GregHere is the Hot Metal Custom website if anyone is interested

Last edited by admin; 08-30-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:32 PM

hi greg,

you machine looks great !!

i don`t think anyone here is against power tools, i`m certainly not but.. the point people are trying to make is that it can be mde other ways . (meaning don`t think you have to have every tool known to man to shape metal. )

gary

p.s. can you show a pic of the stretching dies ? dennis` site just says coming soon ?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Bob, not to hijack the thread, but Brent Tery owns a little reciprocating machine that runs shrinking dies pretty effectively (or, at least it did for me) that has a 1/3 hp motor on it, running at 1725-1800 rpm.

My current hammer has a 1 hp motor on it, and it really doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, to me at least.

Nice machine Greg! The Anoka plans include some neat little touches. Good work!

That said, I will agree with the people who say "you don't need power tools to shape metal" ..................... but, they sure are nice to have sometimes!

Tim D.

The Voice from the Cheap Seats -Proudly making cheap, crappy tools for my own personal entertainment!

Last edited by tdoty; 08-25-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:14 PM

Gary, here is a pic of my stretching dies. The upper die is a piece of 1/2 in. thick urethane I had laying around, glued to a piece of 2 in. shaft, then welded to a 3/4 in. square bar. The lower dies are from my planishing hammer, made from 1 1/4 in. shaft. I make these lower dies with radiuses as I need them to suit the job I am working on at the time. After a while you end up with an assortment to suit most contours. Using these dies is the same as using a hammer and shot bag basically, only much faster.The other benifit of the upper urethane die is that only one upper die is needed for all lower radius dies. I do have a few upper steel dies with a concave surface to match the convex lower dies, but since I made the urethane upper, I never use the steel uppers anymore. I made these dies, but I think the ones Dennis sells are basically the same, Greg
Old 08-25-2006, 06:22 PM

Sorry, I forgot to include the picture, I must be getting old, Greg
Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 PM

I will try again with a bigger pic,Greg
Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 PM

thanks greg.

gary